[arch-general] [trinity-devel] x86_64 kdesktop.kcrash [SOLVED - it is glibc]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Feb 24 19:38:29 EST 2011

On 02/24/2011 01:17 PM, Wieland Hoffmann wrote:
>>    I have no idea what this error is. Something is going wrong somewhere on
>> >  x86_64 with either glibc or libxcb. I don't know if the output from the startx
>> >  command and its backtrace will help narrow this down, but it seems to be a
>> >  generic X/glibc/libxcb issue.
> It's not a glibc issue - glibc is actually telling you there's an error
> somewhere in the trinity code.

OK,

   That's good info, but why then does Fluxbox exhibit the same pixelation
desktop crash when an xterm is launched?

   I can start fluxbox and I can look at the menus (change config settings in
the menu), but as soon as I launch an app, the desktop does the same
checkerboard wrap.

   I have no doubt that there are bugs in the Trinity code, but regardless, it
shouldn't effect fluxbox.

   When running flux, I didn't get a backtrace dumped to the console running
startx, but I had to click in the blind to shut it down after the screen went nuts.

   Hopefully this isn't one of those 'coincidences' where there are 2 bugs. (1
in Trinity and another in X effecting both Trinity and Fluxbox)

   What has me wondering is -- this is a brand new Arch install with nothing but
base, base-devel, xorg and fluxbox on it (plus the Trinity I built).

   No new hardware (same laptop I run Arch on all the time). I'll try
downgrading xorg and trying again and let you know how that goes. Let me know if
you have any other thoughts. Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.