[arch-general] [trinity-devel] x86_64 kdesktop.kcrash [SOLVED - it is glibc]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Feb 24 20:25:36 EST 2011

On 02/24/2011 06:38 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> OK,
>
>   That's good info, but why then does Fluxbox exhibit the same pixelation
> desktop crash when an xterm is launched?
>
>   I can start fluxbox and I can look at the menus (change config settings in the
> menu), but as soon as I launch an app, the desktop does the same checkerboard wrap.
>
>   I have no doubt that there are bugs in the Trinity code, but regardless, it
> shouldn't effect fluxbox.

Wow,

  This is bizarre. The screen pixelated in kdemod3 (old standard version). I
couldn't see a thing. I typed alt+f2 "ksnapshot" to grab a screenshot and while
the screenshot did capture part of the screen pixelation on the right hand side,
it looks a whole lot better than the screen did when I took the shot.

  I don't know whether this is X, glibc, libxcb or what, but if you look at the
screenshot, you will notice that the kate document list (kate is on the left)
has been repeated on the right side pixelated. You can also see this has wrapped
'over' thunderbird on the right side of the screen. This behaves like an old
monitor timing issue, but I have experienced it on multiple boxes. Here is the
screenshot for what it's worth. I'll have more time to look at this issue tomorrow.

[222k]
http://www.3111skyline.com/dl/dt/trinity/ss/screen-pixeled.jpg

  I can't explain why most of the screen looks right. It was a holy mess when I
took the screenshot.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.