[arch-general] (now 4.5.5-1) Re: kde-4.5.4 loads kde3 kicker and background (even with ~/.kde & ~/.kde4 removed)

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Jan 11 18:01:57 EST 2011

On 01/10/2011 10:24 PM, 宋文武 wrote:
> KDE3 had done well, in fact I like it most in a mass of DEs.
>
> I guess it is the issue of xdg-autostart.
> Try to remove ~/.config/autostart(I'm not sure where it is :)

Thank you 宋文武.

  I'll see if that will work. It might, because basket notepads (fantastic info
collection app) is loaded in both k3 and k4 from ~/.config/autostart. It might
be that loading basket notepads forces the load of the kde3 runtime which in
turn pulls in the kicker panel, background and decorations. Will follow up with
that.

  Let me also correct earlier statements limiting this problem to i686 packages.
I have this problem on both i686 and x86_64 boxes. I think it may also be compiz
related. Specifically, if you have ever use 'kwin --replace' to drop from compiz
back to kwin, I think a default setting gets set for the default wm. When you
then launch k4, k4 loads, but then pulls in the k3 settings based on the default
set by using 'kwin --replace'.

  However, I think your thoughts on the issue being in ~/.config may be right on
point. I have completely removed ~/.kde and ~/.kde4 and still get the kde3
elements pulled into kde4. I have pulled my hair out trying to find the
common-thread, but until now I have completely overlooked ~/.config. Thanks.

  Ultimately though, there is still the question of "why on Arch?" to be
answered. When I find the culprit, I'll pass it on so we can revisit whether
there is something in how k4 is packaged for Arch needs tweaking.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC