[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Upstart

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Wed Jan 19 13:35:01 EST 2011

On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 04:29:02 am Laurent Carlier wrote:
> Le mercredi 19 janvier 2011 11:16:41, Jelle van der Waa a écrit :
> > On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 14:50 +0700, Madhur Ahuja wrote:
> > > Ubuntu and Fedora has already embraced it.
> > >
> > > Any ideas when will Arch switch to upstart based booting system ?
> > >
> > > http://upstart.ubuntu.com/
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Madhur
> >
> > For the nex time, first try to implement this feature/thing in AUR and
> > get it documented via the archwiki.
> >
> > If you want the devs to get interested in a new feature, atleast provide
> > them with something to test and with arguments, cause you gave none...
>
> And "ubuntu use it" is not enough as an argument :-)
>
> ++

In my opinion: "Ubuntu uses it" is a very strong reason NOT to use Upstart.

Ubuntu may be a very user friendly distribution, but take that away and you
get a distribution that's mediocre at the best of times. And its largely
because the Ubuntu devs have no clue how to actually do a Linux system
properly.

Upstart may be "fast" but I much prefer Arch's init system (With SysV
pretending to act like BSD Init.) which is a lot more flexible and much
simpler.

At the risk of sounding like a dick, sometimes I wish there was a way to flag
ideas on this mailing list as Stupid Ideas(tm). Switching Arch to Upstart
would be one of them.