[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Sander Jansen s.jansen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 19:48:14 EST 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Tom Gundersen <teg at jklm.no> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have been working on integration of Arch and Systemd.
>
> At the moment I think the support is complete, and for me it has been
> 100% stable for some time. That said, much more widespread testing is
> required before it can really be said to be stable (so any testing and
> bug reporting would be highly appreciated, especially if you use
> lvm/raid/encryption).
>
> We would also like to improve the documentation, so if anyone has any
> questions that are not answered by the wiki page, please let me know.
>
> Regarding people who are worried about getting an unbootable system:
> systemd and sysvinit can (and should) be installed in parallel, so you
> can switch between them by adding "init=/bin/systemd" to your kernel
> line in GRUB (so if it does break your boot, you can just reboot back
> into sysvinit).
>
> Any questions can be posed on this mailinglist, on the systemd thread
> in the forum or in #archlinux or #systemd on IRC, where myself
> ("tomegun") and "falconindy" can sometimes be found.

So I installed it today and tried it out.  I still have to play with
it some more.  Some initial impressions:

- It's nice you can install it next to sysv-init. This makes it really
easy to test without breaking the system.
- If you installed vala 0.10, systemd-git won't build, even though gtk
is disabled. This is a bug in the configure script of systemd.
Solution would be either to install vala-0.11 or remove vala from your
system.
- I guess the initscripts-systemd is listed as an optional dependency
of systemd, but I'm not sure how usefull systemd is without it...?
- The login console seems to be slightly messed up. I can login, but
error/log messages keep being send to the terminal as well.
- I know how I can change the default target on the boot line, but can
I set it anywhere else?
- sshd has listed network.service as a dependency, but what if you use
NetworkManager instead?

Cheers,

Sander