[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Yaro Kasear yaro at marupa.net
Thu Jan 20 19:55:23 EST 2011

On Thursday, January 20, 2011 06:48:14 pm Sander Jansen wrote:
(snip)

> - It's nice you can install it next to sysv-init. This makes it really
> easy to test without breaking the system.

You can do this? I might try it out. If it works as expected in its stage of
development, I'll quick being a jerk about it.

Also, how does that work? Do you choose an init at some point?

> - If you installed vala 0.10, systemd-git won't build, even though gtk
> is disabled. This is a bug in the configure script of systemd.
> Solution would be either to install vala-0.11 or remove vala from your
> system.

I'm confused by this. Do you mean that vala's conflicting something out of the
system or just causing a breakage in some way?

> - I guess the initscripts-systemd is listed as an optional dependency
> of systemd, but I'm not sure how usefull systemd is without it...?

Though I don't 100% know how systemd is, don't all init systems need scripts
to be useful? I would think that installing systemd's initscripts would be
important for it to do its work.

> - The login console seems to be slightly messed up. I can login, but
> error/log messages keep being send to the terminal as well.

What are the messages? Is there a bug in the bug tracker about this or is this
purely an upstream concern?

> - I know how I can change the default target on the boot line, but can
> I set it anywhere else?

Is that how you would run one init system over another?

> - sshd has listed network.service as a dependency, but what if you use
> NetworkManager instead?

Would this be cause for a seperate set of daemon scripts just for systemd or
are there plans to make it work with rc.conf in much the same way SysV does?