[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Upstart

Rogutės Sparnuotos rogutes at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 21 10:30:59 EST 2011

Tom Gundersen (2011-01-21 14:36):
> On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 1:13 PM, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
> > Am 20.01.2011 14:18, schrieb Tom Gundersen:>
> >> Anything in particular you have in mind? We are working towards
> >> complete backwards compatibility with initscripts, and we are more or
> >> less there (modulo unknown bugs).
> >
> > First of all I was talking about systemd as the default init system
> > within Arch.
>
> I see. I misunderstood.
>
> >> Any suggestions about what might make the installation easier? At the
> >> moment you have to install some packages from AUR and add a line to
> >> your GRUB file.
> >
> > I appreciate your work (and anyone who has helped you out a bit), but to
> > be honest its not the way I would think of an ideal solution :(. Right
> > now you have to install a few packages from AUR and run it in parallel
> > with sysvinit. I don't even know if there is a way to remove sysvinit,
> > but I would guess this wouldn't be easy.
>
> At the moment removing sysvinit is not a goal. We are happy to see
> them peacefully co-exist. I expect this will continue being our goal
> as long as sysvinit is the default on Arch.
>
> > Furthermore units are provided by a single package. I don't think thats
> > a good way, as I get a whole bunch of units I actually don't need.
>
> This is a temporary solution until packages ship unit files upstream.
> I agree it is not ideal, but it is a simple solution for the time
> being (without much of a drawback, the unused unit files are not even
> parsed).
>
> > All in all, its relatively easy to install systemd, because of the work
> > you and others have done, but it doesn't follow the KISS principle at all.
>
> I agree that the temporary packaging solutions are not ideal, but it's
> the best we can do in the short run. However, none of these problems
> are fundamental, and if/when systemd is in widespread use, these
> problems will disappear.
>
> > I guess, to make it really affordable it must be declared as official,
> > so the packages itself contain the units, replacing the sysvinit.
>
> At the moment the intention is just to allow people to test systemd,
> so this would be quite premature.
>
> Thanks for your comments.

Hmm, it's good for systemd to have found a maintainer with such a positive
attitude as yours :)
If you keep it up, I can imagine systemd entering community and/or
becoming the default. Hopefully not before it is ready - as this seems to
have been the main problem with pulseaudio.

--
--  Rogutės Sparnuotos