[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 21 15:07:16 EST 2011

On 22 January 2011 01:53, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at extof.me> wrote:
> oh... my.  there is too much <expletive deleted> to respond properly
> so i'll try touch a couple [several] things ...
>
> ... why the resistance at all? let me reiterate this niiiice and slow:
>
> SYSVINIT HAS NO POWER, NO FUNCTIONALITY, AND ABSOLUTELY ZERO
> USEFULNESS ON IT'S OWN.

I just tried systemd. And it just failed. I don't want to know
anything else, and I don't want to find out why. Just looking at its
underlying framework without having to make it run successfully is
enough to get the point across - it is _not_ KISS. If it ever comes to
development attention to "adopt as default" or "replace sysvinit", I
will personally cast a negative vote.

With that said, I am all for dynamic systems. I may even use systemd
personally in the future. We use Arch Linux, so we can do what we want
with our systems. What the "default" is doesn't really matter. The
packages get my vote.