[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jan 21 16:28:28 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 9:07 PM, Ray Rashif <schiv at archlinux.org> wrote:
> I just tried systemd. And it just failed. I don't want to know
> anything else, and I don't want to find out why.

To everyone trying out systemd, please keep in mind that the arch
integration has not received a lot of testing yet, so don't expect it
to "just work". It does for me (and other people working working on
systemd and Arch integration, as far as I know), but I guess there are
lots of cases that we have not tried yet. Any detailed descriptions of
failures would be highly appreciated.

> Just looking at its
> underlying framework without having to make it run successfully is
> enough to get the point across - it is _not_ KISS.

I think this depends on your point of view. For an administrator, user
or arch developer, the simplicity should be no less than with
initscripts. Depending on what exactly you are doing, I would argue
that usually it is much simpler (in the worst case scenario, you can
always just use your old arch configuration files and everything will
work the same (fingers crossed...)).

The complexity only becomes an issue if you want to do systemd
development, but I guess that most people will not do that, and
requiring all users to understand the internal workings of all the
software they use is a bit ambitious (I certainly don't). What should
matter is the simplicity of software's external interfaces (like
configuration files, behavior, etc).

Thanks to everyone who's taking a look at the systemd packages,
apologies to anyone whose babies it eats.

Tom