[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

C Anthony Risinger anthony at extof.me
Fri Jan 21 16:30:26 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 21, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Ray Rashif <schiv at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 22 January 2011 01:53, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at extof.me> wrote:
>> oh... my.  there is too much <expletive deleted> to respond properly
>> so i'll try touch a couple [several] things ...
>>
>> ... why the resistance at all? let me reiterate this niiiice and slow:
>>
>> SYSVINIT HAS NO POWER, NO FUNCTIONALITY, AND ABSOLUTELY ZERO
>> USEFULNESS ON IT'S OWN.
>
> I just tried systemd. And it just failed.

ok, so what went wrong?  your sure you did everything correctly?  more
info would be needed to help you.

> I don't want to know
> anything else, and I don't want to find out why.

ooooh now i see. maybe you meant to post here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/ :-)

... because arch users are encouraged to help solve their own
problems; whats your goal exactly?

> Just looking at its
> underlying framework without having to make it run successfully is
> enough to get the point across - it is _not_ KISS.

"KISS, #2 in the top ten list of misunderstood/abused/regurgitated concepts."

let me get this straight, you tried once, it didn't work once, so now
it's garbage?  you must think the whole AUR is garbage too then?  or
what?

> If it ever comes to
> development attention to "adopt as default" or "replace sysvinit", I
> will personally cast a negative vote.

well luckily i don't think they run a democracy around here ;-)

> With that said, I am all for dynamic systems. I may even use systemd
> personally in the future. We use Arch Linux, so we can do what we want
> with our systems. What the "default" is doesn't really matter. The
> packages get my vote.

indeed, and i'd mostly agree.  however while im not a developer for
archlinux, i wouldnt waste time on obsolete systems when a better
alternative saves me time; you may end up maintaining the initscripts
yourself.  keep that in mind.

the point of systemd is to make ALL of our lives easier, not more difficult.

C Anthony