[arch-general] When will Arch switch to Systemd

Ray Rashif schiv at archlinux.org
Fri Jan 21 18:42:17 EST 2011

On 22 January 2011 05:30, C Anthony Risinger <anthony at extof.me> wrote:
> ok, so what went wrong?  your sure you did everything correctly?  more
> info would be needed to help you.

Thank you, but I can help myself if I want to pursue this, when I have
the time to pursue this. The point was to check how far it was in the
integration. No more, no less.

> ooooh now i see. maybe you meant to post here:
>
> http://ubuntuforums.org/ :-)
>
> ... because arch users are encouraged to help solve their own
> problems; whats your goal exactly?

Are you on a provoking rampage? Because my goal was to simply give you
some feedback for this topic you brought up. If that can even be a
goal. Looking at Tom's reply was much more worthwhile. You probably
thought I was trying to undermine the validity of your points running
across this topic - which was not the case at all.

> "KISS, #2 in the top ten list of misunderstood/abused/regurgitated concepts."

Sorry, but I think I know KISS when I see KISS.

> let me get this straight, you tried once, it didn't work once, so now
> it's garbage?  you must think the whole AUR is garbage too then?  or
> what?

No. I tried it for all its hype, to _inspect_ what "systemd"
comprises, to get the general idea. No more, no less.

> well luckily i don't think they run a democracy around here ;-)

Of course, they don't. Either way I would have nothing to gain or
lose. It is just a personal opinion.

> indeed, and i'd mostly agree.  however while im not a developer for
> archlinux, i wouldnt waste time on obsolete systems when a better
> alternative saves me time; you may end up maintaining the initscripts
> yourself.  keep that in mind.
>
> the point of systemd is to make ALL of our lives easier, not more difficult.

Right. Anyway, you might want to realise that nobody who "matters" has
had - up to this point - anything to say about "switching to systemd".
Mostly because none of them have the time (so there is still hope).
You can always file an FR in the tracker if you want to gain some
progress for your enthusiasm, or even get an ultimatum.