[arch-general] Gnome Sound Events and Settings

Ionuț Bîru ibiru at archlinux.org
Sat Jan 22 13:01:05 EST 2011

On 01/22/2011 07:40 PM, Steve Holmes wrote:
> On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 06:38:08PM +0200, Ionuț Bîru wrote:
>> Sound preferences exists only if you install pulseaudio and
>> corresponding pulse package for gnome (pacman -S pulseaudio-gnome)
>
> Why pulse audio? I have heard so much bad press about it, I never
> installed it on my system.  I have other facilities on my system that
> require sound to transcend multiple users like speech dispatcher and
> screen reader applications that are adversely affected by using pulse
> audio.  I wonder if I could just find and build the sound preferences
> portion myself with my own package without using pulse? I understand
> that once pulse is running, you can't use ALSA or anything else at the
> same time.

lets not start a rant about this. This is what gnome decided long time
ago and we actually patched (and is not the arch way) that out to
provided gstreamer support over pulse.

>> Gnome project relies on sound-theme-freedesktop as the default theme
>> from it. For some reasons they removed the login and logout sound
>> and many more to replace it. That happened more that 1 year ago.
>>
>> If you want sounds, try search a sound theme on gnome-look.org
>
> Actually, I have the borealis package tarball here and was figuring to
> install it.  It is just the sound files though so I need to know how
> to tell GNOME where to find these files and associate them with the
> appropriate events.  It is these sound events I can't find in GNOME to
> assign the files.

now that i'm thinking more about it there should be under the volume
control a drop down list labeled as Sound theme (and have as entries No
sound and Default) and below that where you can select the alert sound.
The most annoying thing is that you can't modify the alert sound volume
(that is available only with pulse).

--
Ionuț