[arch-general] Gnome Sound Events and Settings

Steve Holmes steve.holmes88 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 22 13:20:44 EST 2011

On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 08:01:05PM +0200, Ionuț Bîru wrote:
> lets not start a rant about this. This is what gnome decided long
> time ago and we actually patched (and is not the arch way) that out
> to provided gstreamer support over pulse.

Oh, so one could install the gnome-pulse stuff and just not run the
pulse daemon? that might be an interesting thing to try.  I'll need to
examine that package.

> now that i'm thinking more about it there should be under the volume
> control a drop down list labeled as Sound theme (and have as entries
> No sound and Default) and below that where you can select the alert
> sound. The most annoying thing is that you can't modify the alert
> sound volume (that is available only with pulse).

Interesting; I had no idea GNOME was relying so heavily on Pulse
Audio.  Anyway, I have been through the volume control and see the
options you speak of.  That is only the general alert sounds though
and doesn't include things like Login, logout, etc.  These are .ogg
files and you can choose between things like Glass, Bark, Sonar, and
"No sound".  On occasion I hear other sounds during things like errors
and questions but haven't yet figured out exactly which files are
being used and how chosen.  It seems very comvoluted at how to
configure sound events in gnome now days.