[arch-general] Robson Peixoto invited you to Dropbox

Mauro Santos registo.mailling at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 05:32:16 EST 2011

On 24-01-2011 10:19, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:12:06 +0000
> Peter Lewis <plewis at aur.archlinux.org> wrote:
>
>> It seems to be that
>> either someone uploads their entire addressbook to a random website
>> (doesn't seem like a clever idea) or else gives the website their
>> email password (very bad idea).
>
> It's probably the easiest way to invite your (legit) email contacts.
> The real question is: do dropbox/facebook/linkedin/.. not provide a
> confirmation page with checkboxes per contact or something, before
> actually sending the mail?
>
> Dieter

I guess they do (or they should, never tried it myself) and I also
believe that they ask for the email's password before they can spam mail
everyone.
To add insult to injury some sites require (or used to require) an email
address and the respective password so "you can keep in touch with your
friends" before allowing one to complete the registration process, or
keep nagging you afterwards telling you that "you are not keeping in
touch with your friends, please give us your email's password and let us
mass spam everyone (tm)".

--
Mauro Santos