[arch-general] [RFT] initscripts 2011.01-1

Jan Spakula bender02 at archlinux.us
Thu Jan 27 08:53:46 EST 2011

Excerpts from Heiko Baums's message of Do Jan 27 14:23:25 +0100 2011:
> Am Thu, 27 Jan 2011 11:50:31 +0100
> schrieb Jan Spakula <bender02 at archlinux.us>:
>
> > Another slight annoyance comes from the lines (from rc.sysinit)
> >
> >         # isLuks only gives an exit code but no output to
> >         # stdout or stderr.
> >         if $CS isLuks "$2"; then
> >                 open=luksOpen
> >                 a="$2"
> >                 b="$1"
> >         fi
> >
> > It's not true that there's no output; I get the message
> > "Device /dev/vg/swap is not a valid LUKS device."
> > every time I boot :)
>
> But this is the output on the console. For those if clauses you need a
> boolean (true or false resp. 0 or 1) and this is not given by
> cryptsetup isLuks. This value is only given as an exit code. So this
> part of the script is absolutely correct and the only way to handle
> this.

I like clause with exit codes much better that any funky checking for a
message ;)
I was addressing the comment in the script that it "..gives no output";
silently suggesting to explicitly silence the cryptsetup call, so that no
unnecessary messages are displayed during booting.

Jan