[arch-general] How to encrypt /home, so it gets mounted during boot

Karol Babioch karol at babioch.de
Fri Jan 28 13:32:39 EST 2011

Hi,

I've encrypted my /home partition (which lays on a raid), basically just
for the fun of it ;). I'm now encountering a problem, which isn't that
easy to solve as it seems to me :(.

I've got the following setup:

/dev/sda1 -> /boot
/dev/sda2 -> encryption -> lvm -> /
/dev/sdb1 -> encryption -> lvm -> /home

Now I want to get /home mounted during the bootup. However I have the
following order of hooks, which works fine for my root partition:

"[...] encrypt lvm2 resume filesystems"

Now, while the root lv gets mounted, the initscripts then tries to mount
anything within /etc/fstab, but here lies the problem, because the lvm2
hook hasn't unlocked /dev/sdb1, because it is encrypted, and gets
unencrypted only afterwards (/etc/crypttab).

So what is the procedure here? Is there any easy workaround? How do you
solve these issues?

Best regards,
Karol Babioch