[arch-general] How to encrypt /home, so it gets mounted during boot

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Fri Jan 28 14:19:42 EST 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 7:32 PM, Karol Babioch <karol at babioch.de> wrote:
> Now, while the root lv gets mounted, the initscripts then tries to mount
> anything within /etc/fstab, but here lies the problem, because the lvm2
> hook hasn't unlocked /dev/sdb1, because it is encrypted, and gets
> unencrypted only afterwards (/etc/crypttab).

I'm not using the same setup as you, but looking at rc.sysinit, it
should support a setup like the following (where any link in the chain
can be skipped of course):

raid -> lvm -> encrypt -> lvm -> fs

So in principle your setup should work (notice that inside the
crypttab stuff there is a call to activate_vgs).

I don't know how to solve your particular problem though, just thought
I'd let you know that it "should work" (TM).

Cheers,

Tom