[arch-general] gnome2.32

Sergio de Almeida Lenzi lenzi.sergio at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 00:17:49 EDT 2011

Em Ter, 2011-07-05 às 02:58 +0300, Evangelos Foutras escreveu:

> On 5 July 2011 01:53, Sergio de Almeida Lenzi <lenzi.sergio at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Just in case some of you need the old gnome.
>
> That's not how we roll, and people should be discouraged from using
> frozen repositories.

I know, I do not like the idea too.
I build the repository only because I have several (30+) notebooks, used
by end users
that are unable to use gnome3. Gnome3 is too advanced for them, or the
notebooks
do not have graphical hardware for gnome3 (3D). They barely can operate
gnome2 (they
came from windows XP)... The keyboard commands in gnome3 is not an
option for them.
The option was to come back to windows XP.  but they would loose the
libreoffice, the
evolution, epiphany, gthumb. They are: musicist, nurses, house wifes,
old peole (60+ yo)...
and so on... I tried the Xfce, but it does not have integration gnome
have (automount,
gphoto, gthumb, eog, evince...  Kde is too complicated for them. some
have used Kde 3.2...

> The only way this could work would be to have an actively maintained
> repository complementing the official ones. I imagine this is not an
> easy task at all, considering upstream's discontinuation of the Gnome
> 2 line.
>
> So, people who are still using Gnome 2 are encouraged to upgrade to
> Gnome 3 and see if they like it. After a week or so, they can choose
> to either keep it – if they're happy – or switch to another desktop
> environment (maybe even try a window manager instead).

or come back to windows XP and forget about the Linux adventure...

Here K1 (my company) builds servers running FreeBSD, and we already
support
about 1200 ports (applications) that runs on servers.  We decided for
Archlinux
because of the notebooks (freebsd does not do well on notebooks
still) .

Indeed, we have to port serveral applications to Archlinux for example:
id3ren, gdm 2.18, libreoffice 3.3.4, mencoder,  new versions of ffmpeg,
mplayer, dvdstyler,
anjuta, sis671 Xserver, vnc (not tightvnc), Xvnc... basically what we
use in FreeBSD and do not have in archlinux...

Sergio