[arch-general] iptables not working well?

Javier Vasquez j.e.vasquez.v at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 00:22:53 EDT 2011

On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Damjan Georgievski <gdamjan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Your config looks ok, but to double check, paste the output of:
> iptables -L -nv
> iptables -t nat -L -nv
> to see the exact situation.
>

>> OK, on machines at the internal side of my LAN, I can ping everywhere.
>>  But I can not use the browser with all addresses, for example I can't
>> get to www.archlinux.org through frirefox or midori, neither
>> www.debian.org.
>>
>> Weird thing www.google.com, and some other sites can be reached
>> through firefox on machines inside the LAN.
>
> What's the error you are getting. Are you ping-ing by name or by an IP address.
> Have you tried ping-ing with different packet sizes?

No error at all, just that the browser gets waiting to connect, and
nevers does it.  Pinging is always fine with no specification of
packet size.

> on your gateway machine run tcpdump on both the LAN and ppp0 interface
> and see if the packets go through.

I might try that.  What I'll do for now is enable new connections on
both sides, since the ones coming from outside are not accepted (but
that's the way that sounds common sense to me, and that has been
working on my debian box for quiet a while)...

Again, no error, just the browser not getting anywhere for some sites.
 Some others work as google and gmail...

> --
> damjan

Thanks,