[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] dropping tcp_wrapper support

Thomas S Hatch thatch45 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 13 11:03:29 EDT 2011

> I would say the same, but a todo list isn't a to-done list, so keep
> that in mind. He also pointed out that I got little to no feedback
> when I asked about this both a year and six months ago, so
> expectations are pretty low this time around. I'm sure if there were
> serious objections people would raise them and we could address them.
>
> This is worthy of a news article once we move packages to core only
> because it could expose some services people didn't previously expect
> to need to protect.
>
> -Dan

As far as feedback goes, I have used tcp-wrappers a great deal in the past,
but not for many years. And the fact that it needs to be so heavily patched
suggests that we should not be using it anyway.

I agree that we should not have to maintain it anymore, it is an outdated
security system that usually gets in the way, and Arch is the only distro I
use that turns it on by default.

+1