[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] dropping tcp_wrapper support

Peggy Wilkins enlil65 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 13:06:34 EDT 2011

I am an end user who is very unhappy about the removal of this option.
 I didn't even know dropping tcp_wrappers was under consideration; had
I known that I would have spoken up with my vote against removing
support.

The annoucement suggests that a major reason for dropping support is
that it is "confusing" to end users.  An easy solution to that is to
make a default hosts.allow file that says "ALL : ALL : ALLOW"  out of
the box.  Then those of use wanting to simply restrict access (useful
in many scenarios) can change that default as needed.

IMO for users who want to use this feature, the burden is on the end
user to find which services support tcp wrappers and which don't.  A
default "allow" policy makes this simple.

Surely I'm not the only tcp wrappers user out there.  I will sorely
miss this option and strongly wish it to remain.