[arch-general] docs in Octave package?

Auguste Pop auguste at gmail.com
Sat Jul 16 00:33:29 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 12:09 PM, XeCycle <xecycle at gmail.com> wrote:
> Auguste Pop <auguste at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Fri, Jul 15, 2011 at 10:36 PM, XeCycle <xecycle at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I need the documents of octave, but it's not in the current octave
>>> package, so I need to compile it manually after each update.  However
>>> the compilation is very time and power consuming, it can drive my CPU to
>>> 100 degrees --- which is not very fine for a laptop.
>>>
>> ./configure && make pdf && make install-pdf would be quite fast.
>
> I used to remove the "--disable-docs" in the ./configure parameters.

the PKGBUILD of octave does not contain anything like --disable-docs.
if the documentations are not installed by make install, it's an
UPSTREAM FEATURE.

>> as a matter of fact, most of the time you spent would be in the
>> configure stage.
>
> Not really...  At least it's not the case with octave.  It used to take
> more than one hour (on my Intel Core i5 430M); with "make -j4" it's
> faster, but the CPU temperature shows 100 degrees Celsius.

you are re-compiling the whole octave again with the docs, that's not
what i said. if you are only interested in adding docs, you can
package docs separately. if you want pdf docs, you can make pdf &&
make install-pdf, or html docs, make html && make install-html. both
would take less than a minute to complete.

>> have you tried to make an independent aur package for yourself?
>
> Does that make a difference?  Still I have to build it myself, and I'm
> asking if we can build a docs package in [extra].

putting a separate docs package in aur means you don't have to endure
the long, tedious, and meaningless re-compiling process, which you
complained about, every time the package got updated. what you get is
a slightly outdated documentation package, which you can easily update
automatically alongside the repo octave package, if you are willing
to. actually, even manually doing so would take you no more than five
minutes.

anyway, if you want a package to include a change you propose, the
best way is to show up with a working PKGBUILD.

best regards,