[arch-general] OK so HARDWARECLOCK="localtime" is "strongly discouraged" BUT???

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Sat Jul 16 11:17:18 EDT 2011

It would appear that on Jul 13, C Anthony Risinger did say:

> On Jul 12, 2011 8:19 AM, "Joe(theWordy)Philbrook" <jtwdyp at ttlc.net> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> Duuuuude ... just set UTC and forget about it ... forever :-)
>
> The wisdom of others frees time to build more wisdom of self.

Duuuude ... If my personality type was compatible with just doing things
the way others have decided were best just because it's easier I'd never
have fought my way out of Microsoft's grasp...

When I first heard of Linux I didn't find it easier than winblows. (And
except for the fact that I'm out of practice {and out of touch with changes
in their propitiatory interface} I still wouldn't find it "EASIER") But what
attracted me to it was the power of the bash shell (which I had become minimally
exposed to via vt100 terminals connected to my former employers Unix
machines) And the idea that if I could only figure out how, I could make my
own durned decisions about how to set things up. A concept inspired by the
fact that a guy I delivered stuff to at the factory had imposed his will on
his Unix shell's command line prompt so that it read:

Gone fishing:

Well I didn't like his prompt. But I liked the idea of a user being able
to decide such things for himself. And that, more than anything else made
me decide I'd rather fight with *nix to get things the way I want than
learn to live with what MS wanted to spoon feed me.

Over the years I've made MANY non-standard adaptions to my Linux.

Like for example among multi-boot (as in more than one Linux distro) users
it seams the prevailing wisdom was to have one /home partition that gets
mounted regardless of which Linux you boot. But I've seen that sometimes
different Linux will have different versions of the same applications with
incompatible .rcfile formats... So when I got ready to do something like
that I created a user owned data partition that mounts (noauto,user) during
my .bash_profile execution with symlinks in the various distro specific
/home/jtwdyp directory trees...

I NEVER let anything automount or automatically open an application on a
removable filesystem upon insertion. But rather make it easy for "user" to
mount/umout the usual ones at will. IE these lines in my fstab:

/dev/disk/by-id/usb-USB_Flash_Disk_2008032800001952-0:0-part1        /Shuttle/gray  auto user,noauto     0       0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-TOSHIBA_TransMemory_5B8603000081-0:0-part1        /Shuttle/white  auto user,noauto     0       0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-USB_2.0_USB_Flash_Drive_0000000064DDE527-0:0-part1         /Shuttle/mini  auto user,noauto     0       0
/dev/disk/by-id/usb-Generic_USB_SD_Reader_2004888-0:0-part1        /Shuttle/Camera-SD-1  auto user,noauto     0       0

make it easy with mc to select {for example} the dir: "/Shuttle/Camera-SD-1"
type "mount <alt>+<Enter> <ENTER>" and use mc to access my latest images...
This method works even if I didn't start the gui...

In short {as if that were possible with me tehe} I have sufficient knowledge
of "self" to know that while I may sometimes have problems with implementing
my choices, & while I seek sufficient understanding of the wisdom of others to
better evaluate my own choices, I myself will only ever change those choices
when it feels right to me. And thus I'm resigned to the fact that MY pc
will always be filled with a bunch of half understood kludges that at least
temporarily let me run things my way even when the developers took a
seriously different path... But the fact that I'm allowed to make my own
choices, even if they are not advisable, makes me "love" Linux, and be at
peace with my alleged place within it. Which is probably as blissfully "zen" as
I'll ever get... <snicker>