[arch-general] Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Jul 20 09:11:20 EDT 2011

On Wed, Jul 20, 2011 at 02:38:58AM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:

> > * There is *no* /dev/pcm at all.
>
> Do you mean /dev/snd/pcm? Either way, NOT good.

Yes.

> > * /etc/udev/rules.d is empty
>
> This is expected; have you ever placed anything there yourself before?

No.

> Do you know about the the rc.conf changes WRT (1) blacklisting modules
> and (2) time?

Yes.

> Or, was the last time you updated before this, quite a
> while back?

According to pacman.log it seems the last full update was in March.

> I understand getting the RME to work initially was no trouble, and
> just the standard alsa installation (and the driver gets loaded
> automatically)?

Yes, never had any problem with it.

It seems I have *two* machines having this problem, both updated
yesterday. I didn't test the audio on the first one as everything
seemed to be OK. The second one was actually updated using pacserve,
with only a few packages coming from the mirror, the rest being
provided by the first updated machine. Also this went so smoothly
that I forgot to mention it.

Today, on both machines, the 'missing file' errors from udev have
disappeared. But you'll find yesterday's ones, rc.conf, pacman.log
and fstab here: <http://kokkinizita.linuxaudio.org/archinfo.tar.bz2>.
Use wget, there are no links to this.

Ciao,

--