[arch-general] Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Ray Rashif schivmeister at gmail.com
Wed Jul 20 12:23:47 EDT 2011

On 20 July 2011 23:30, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
> OK I tried:
>
> 1. Downgrading firmware, kernel, mkinitcpio:
>   --> no improvement.
>
> 2. Downgrading initscripts:
>   --> no improvement.
>
> 3. Downgrading udev:
>   --> no improvement.
>
> 4. Downgrading pciutils:
>   --> no improvement.
>
> 5. Upgrading everything again:
>   --> still the same result.
>
> In all cases downgrading was to the previously used version, for
> initscripts rc.conf was reverted as well.

Just to be double sure. Did you reboot each time you downgraded
something? If not, downgrade all of them at one go, then reboot.

1. Now we really need a comparison between your working systems and
non-working systems, looking at the differences between hardware and
software.

Just thinking out loud:

A diff with the previous udev yields no difference in
78-sound-card.rules, only an ammendment of our system ruleset.

-# SOUND addon modules
-SUBSYSTEM=="sound", RUN+="/lib/udev/load-modules.sh snd-pcm-oss"
-SUBSYSTEM=="sound", RUN+="/lib/udev/load-modules.sh snd-seq-oss"

-# miscellaneous
-KERNEL=="rtc|rtc0", GROUP="audio", MODE="0664"

And 50-udev-default.rules.

 # sound
-SUBSYSTEM=="sound",            GROUP="audio"
+SUBSYSTEM=="sound",            GROUP="audio", \
+  OPTIONS+="static_node=snd/seq", OPTIONS+="static_node=snd/timer"

2. At this point I'd recommend using a Fedora Live medium to test if
your sound works there.

I'm still unsure whether this is an upstream or local problem. Tom
would be a better judge on this, especially regarding the 'old style'
boot messages. If it's not the kernel, not alsa, not udev, not init,
then I don't know what else it could be (RME card/PCI bus?).

You should file a bug report on our tracker if you haven't done so -
enables a wider audience to follow.

--
GPG/PGP ID: D90FA77D