[arch-general] Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Jul 20 12:38:44 EDT 2011

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 12:23:47AM +0800, Ray Rashif wrote:

> Just to be double sure. Did you reboot each time you downgraded
> something? If not, downgrade all of them at one go, then reboot.

Of course. mkinitcpio -p kernel26 and reboot.

> 1. Now we really need a comparison between your working systems and
> non-working systems, looking at the differences between hardware and
> software.

Since both systems worked perfectly until the upgrade yesterday,
that difference is the set of packages that were upgraded yesterday,
wich you find in pacman.log.

> Just thinking out loud:
>
> A diff with the previous udev yields no difference in
> 78-sound-card.rules, only an ammendment of our system ruleset.
>
> -# SOUND addon modules
> -SUBSYSTEM=="sound", RUN+="/lib/udev/load-modules.sh snd-pcm-oss"
> -SUBSYSTEM=="sound", RUN+="/lib/udev/load-modules.sh snd-seq-oss"
>
> -# miscellaneous
> -KERNEL=="rtc|rtc0", GROUP="audio", MODE="0664"
>
> And 50-udev-default.rules.
>
>  # sound
> -SUBSYSTEM=="sound",            GROUP="audio"
> +SUBSYSTEM=="sound",            GROUP="audio", \
> +  OPTIONS+="static_node=snd/seq", OPTIONS+="static_node=snd/timer"
>
> 2. At this point I'd recommend using a Fedora Live medium to test if
> your sound works there.
>
> I'm still unsure whether this is an upstream or local problem. Tom
> would be a better judge on this, especially regarding the 'old style'
> boot messages. If it's not the kernel, not alsa, not udev, not init,
> then I don't know what else it could be (RME card/PCI bus?).

*Two cards* going defective at the same time, and that time coincides
with an upgrade ? That could only mean that the new system has destroyed
them :-)

Ciao,

--
FA