[arch-general] Panic - no sound devices after upgrade

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Jul 21 09:00:32 EDT 2011

Adrian, Takashi: I added you to cc, as you last touched this code,
sorry if I should have cc'ed someone else. It appears that the HDSPM
module does not recognise cards with firmware revision 0xCC:

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> wrote:
>> > [   48.057757] HDSPM: unknown firmware revision cc
[...]
> Today I tried again downgrading the kernel to 2.6.37, to check if
> the firmware revision error would occur. It doesn't.
[...]
> Tentative conclusion: the snd_hdspm driver in 2.6.39 is not OK.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. This means that the kernel is
not able to recognise your card. Pre-.39 it would load anyway, but
since .39 it gives the warning you posted and refuses to load. Your
firmware revision is 0xCC, which is not recognised. If your card is
MADI, the kernel expects the firmware revision to be 0xD2 (or starting
in 3.0, it also accepts 0xCF).

I guess this can be fixed easily by adding your firmware revision to
the list of accepted revs.

Adrian: is any more info needed to add this rev?

Cheers,

Tom