[arch-general] X terminal redraw problem

Vic Demuzere vic at demuzere.be
Tue Jul 26 02:31:00 EDT 2011

I've had the same issue on gnome-terminal after using ffmpeg. (kernel
2.6.39; nvidia driver on 9800 GTX)

--
vic at demuzere.be :: http://vic.demuzere.be :: PGP: 0x6690CF94
My software never contains bugs, it just develops random features.

Sent from my phone, please excuse my brevity.
On Jul 26, 2011 3:11 AM, "Sergey Manucharian" <ingeniware at gmail.com> wrote:
> Excerpts from Jon Gjengset's message from Sat 23-Jul-11 21:54:
>> On 07/23/2011 09:14 PM, cantabile wrote:
>> > Sounds like the problem I've been having with atris [1] and scummvm
>> > [2]. Try those, see if you have any redraw problems (switch to
>> > fullscreen in atris; just start `scummvm` and move around the mouse).
>> > Also try linux 2.6.38.6 [3]. That one doesn't have the problem, the
>> > first 2.6.39 does.
>> Hmm.. Tried both, and I couldn't see any problem
>>
>> That said, I just switched to the open-source nvidia drivers to see if
>> that would help, and I haven't seen any X terminal problems here yet, so
>> perhaps the open-source drivers don't have the problem?
>> Switching from proprietary to open-source nvidia drivers shouldn't be
>> considered a fix the problem though, since some might require the extra
>> features of the proprietary ones.
>> Besides, it can't really be solely the fault of the driver since people
>> with Intel graphics chips have the same problem?
>
> I've reported the similar problem with my I965GM card and 2.6.38 and
2.6.39 kernels. However it happens only with xterm and rxvt, but never with
GTK-based roxterm and Terminal. Yesterday I've installed 3.0 kernel, and so
far everything works fine.