[arch-general] X terminal redraw problem

Sergey Manucharian ingeniware at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 21:11:25 EDT 2011

Excerpts from Jon Gjengset's message from Sat 23-Jul-11 21:54:
> On 07/23/2011 09:14 PM, cantabile wrote:
> > Sounds like the problem I've been having with atris [1] and scummvm
> > [2]. Try those, see if you have any redraw problems (switch to
> > fullscreen in atris; just start `scummvm` and move around the mouse).
> > Also try linux 2.6.38.6 [3]. That one doesn't have the problem, the
> > first 2.6.39 does.
> Hmm.. Tried both, and I couldn't see any problem
>
> That said, I just switched to the open-source nvidia drivers to see if
> that would help, and I haven't seen any X terminal problems here yet, so
> perhaps the open-source drivers don't have the problem?
> Switching from proprietary to open-source nvidia drivers shouldn't be
> considered a fix the problem though, since some might require the extra
> features of the proprietary ones.
> Besides, it can't really be solely the fault of the driver since people
> with Intel graphics chips have the same problem?

I've reported the similar problem with my I965GM card and 2.6.38 and 2.6.39 kernels. However it happens only with xterm and rxvt, but never with GTK-based roxterm and Terminal. Yesterday I've installed 3.0 kernel, and so far everything works fine.

--
Cheers,
Sergey