[arch-general] CD / DVD Drive - Issues and a really sloppy solution

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Jul 26 08:38:33 EDT 2011

Am Mon, 25 Jul 2011 18:40:25 -0700
schrieb Zanterian <zanterian at gmail.com>:

> So this is where I made the sloppy solution:
> I manually made two symlinks (/dev/cd & /dev/dvd) that point to
> /dev/sr0. This gave me back the ability to burn disks.
>

> So my main question is what do I do from here? Is this a bug?
> I don't want to have this solution as it was just me writing
> educated-guesses-for-links and then trying to burn a disk with  my
> fingers crossed.
> My arch system is up to date and does not use any of the [testing]
> repositories.

The removal of the symlinks /dev/cd and /dev/dvd from udev was
intentional as they aren't provided by udev upstream. Either create
your own udev rule to have them created or just use /dev/sr0.

I don't know Brasero but you usually can change the device which shall
be used in the settings of every CD burning tool.

Heiko