[arch-general] hwclock and openntpd

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 07:05:26 EDT 2011

On Saturday 04 June 2011 08:44:34 Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Sat, 2011-06-04 at 03:06 -0400, Yclept Nemo wrote:
> > Perhaps openntpd does not set the hwclock. Therefore, should openntpd
> > be used in conjuction with the hwclock daemon?
>
> That's true, and that's also the reason why Openntpd doesn't play well
> with Xen where all guest VMs will take over the clock from the host VM.
> With the normal ntp distribution that works, but with Openntpd you need
> something to push the changes to the hwclock.

I've found this gnawing at me since I read it.  I originally started using
OpenNTPD because it was smaller, lighter, and easier to configure.  However,
it's disappointing that it doesn't deal better with the hardware clock.

Searching around for more information, I discovered that OpenNTPD is not
currently well supported for Linux, and the "portable" version that our
package is based on is lagging significantly behind the mainline.

I've heard a few people mention Chrony as a good alternative, and I like the
sound of it.  There's an AUR package, but no Wiki entry.  Has anyone given
Chrony a shot, or have any strong opinions about it?

Paul