[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 11:54:27 EDT 2011

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:29 AM, Vic Demuzere <vic at demuzere.be> wrote:
> On 10 June 2011 15:25, Paul Gideon Dann <pdgiddie at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Also, I wonder what happens if power is lost whilst pacman is installing a new
>> kernel?  I haven't tried this, but it wouldn't surprise me if the system ended
>> up with a truncated kernel that wouldn't boot.  That's a bug right there,
>> although it's a pretty tiny corner case, granted :)
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Is that the case? The kernel should be replaced only after the new one
> is ready, else it would fail if you pushed CTRL+C while updating the
> kernel as well.
>
> Vic

paul,
please check out https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/8585 for the power issue
I really don't see how implementing this feature would give any more
benefits to say installing an -lts kernel or some other kernel you
know just works. On the other hand, I do see versioned kernels
increasing the complexity of the system.