[arch-general] Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs

Joe(theWordy)Philbrook jtwdyp at ttlc.net
Fri Jun 10 21:06:21 EDT 2011

It would appear that on Jun 10, Robert Howard did say:

> Why not just copy the old kernel image, modules and initrd image somewhere
> by hand before you upgrade kernels. If we try to make this automated it
> isn't going to be kiss. I used to do this way back in the day by including
> the entire kernel version in the pkgver and giving the images longer names.
> It was possible to have concurrently installed kernels. Check out how some
> of the AUR kernels manage to be the same kernel version as the official
> without causing issues.

That wouldn't be such a bad idea. And in fact I already do that with the
kernel and initrd image. But I'm almost ashamed to admit that I don't have
enough understanding of the modules to know how to preserve and when needed
restore them. And as was I think mentioned in this thread, without the
modules, the gui wouldn't work...

«I blame CRS {see below}» I've tried to learn stuff like that but the knowledge
didn't stick.

Is there a step by step how-to or wiki I could bookmark???

--
|  ~^~   ~^~
|  <?>   <?>       Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
|      ^                J(tWdy)P
|    \___/         <<jtwdyp at ttlc.net>>

* CRS : "Can't Remember Sh^Htuff" : In my case this means that unless I
* do something the same way every day for a LONG time, or have examples
* of how I did it before (where I can still find them), I usually wind up
* scratching my head the next time I need to do a non-daily task. Or for
* that matter, to remember what I was doing before the durned phone rang etc...