[arch-general] {external, general}ized hooks in key packages [kernel26, ???] (WAS: Re: Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs)

Timothy L. query.v at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 15:10:16 EDT 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Yaro Kasear <yaro at marupa.net> wrote:

> On Friday, June 10, 2011 23:36:18 C Anthony Risinger wrote:
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 2:44 PM, Mauro Santos
> >
> > <registo.mailling at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Arch users have lived without the last good known kernel so far and
> > > without an -lts kernel until recently.
> >
> > this applies to technology in general -- we don't need any of it, but
> > forward we move nonetheless.
> >
> > > IMHO it is a lot more advisable
> > > to have an install cd/usb, or even better, a custom install in some
> > > external media that can be used to boot the system in case something
> > > goes wrong or in case of emergency. Then you can just chroot into the
> > > broken install and fix the problem or tell pacman where the root and
> > > cache are located and fix things.
> >
> > why is that simpler/advisable?  now you need to mount everything
> > properly by hand else things like autodetection fail in mkinitcpio,
> > etc.  i don't think it's hard to recover, and i would never have any
> > of these issues, but i think a *real* recovery shell is not a bad idea
> > ... why add more work for me the human when the machine could get me
> > 95% the way there?  and offer some options even?
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net
> >
> wrote:
> > > The only reason to even consider keeping an old kernel around with Arch
> > > was just in case the new kernel is effectively borked... (possibly due
> > > to a hardware incompatibility...) And if I remember right, you said
> > > something about this not working if the new kernel can't boot...
> >
> > you wouldn't want to boot it past the final step, ie. you don't want
> > to actually switch_root into your / device and continue the boot
> > process ... however, at that moment, you have:
> >
> > ) booted a good kernel
> > ) have all autodetected modules available (possibly not loaded tho)
> > ) ... and (IIRC) -fallback version has the full module tree if needed
> > ) loaded your last configuration of initcpio hooks/etc
> > ) ... which means your / is probably mounted properly, even with
> > encryption and other exotics
> > ) other filesystems like /dev /sys are mounted, --move'd, and ready to
> > go on the new_root
> > ) the whole system is poised for regular boot
> >
> > ... so initcpio script *could*, if aware of your dilemma:
> >
> > ) drop to shell immediately with some helpful info
> > ) chroot for you into /new_root (your real system)
> > ) ... maybe bind mount the module hierarchy into new_root to prevent
> > accidental loading of wrong mods (if that's even possible, not sure)
> >
> > ... basically just bring you 95% the way there, then let you fix it
> > and reboot ... done.
> >
> > On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 8:06 PM, Joe(theWordy)Philbrook <jtwdyp at ttlc.net
> >
> wrote:
> > > It would appear that on Jun 10, Robert Howard did say:
> > >
> > > That wouldn't be such a bad idea. And in fact I already do that with
> the
> > > kernel and initrd image.

> [...]

Eh, the "Arch Way" isn't that specific. I don't see why including *the
option* to have *the last known-to-work kernel* backed up after a kernel
upgrade is that terrible. From reading the thread it sounds like it's a very
simple thing to do and that there are people willing to write the code for
inclusion.

And to be more on topic, the pacman hooks idea has been in need of some love
for some time. A interim solution (or discussion) sounds like a good idea
just to get the ball rolling.

One line responses citing a broad idea as proof that that idea is useless
don't add anything to the conversation. I'm a novice when it comes to this
kind of stuff, but adding simple hooks doesn't seem to needlessly complicate
a user's system. It's something a user would never notice unless they
actually needed to use the functionality it provided.

Discussing this stuff is what leads to progress (AKA motivation).