[arch-general] {external, general}ized hooks in key packages [kernel26, ???] (WAS: Re: Reboot - Versioned Kernel Installs)

Timothy L. query.v at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 16:48:28 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jun 13, 2011 at 3:53 PM, David Campbell <davekong at archlinux.us>wrote:

> Excerpts from Timothy L.'s message of 2011-06-13 15:10:16 -0400:
> > I'm a novice when it comes to this kind of stuff, but adding
> > simple hooks doesn't seem to needlessly complicate a user's
> > system. It's something a user would never notice unless they
> > actually needed to use the functionality it provided.
>
> Just to clarify, when people talk about keeping it simple and the
> Arch way, they are not talking about having a simple, clean
> interface for the user, they are talking about keeping the system
> itself simple, as to reduce the likelihood of bugs, to make
> maintenance simpler, to make extending the system easier, etc..
> --
> David Campbell

Thanks for the clarification but I understood already. Anthony's post was
more of a open-ended proposal (or I perceived it to be), it was not "This is
my idea--let's do this." And it was directed more towards core packages like
the kernel and pacman rather than all packages.

I just felt the OP's post was undeservedly ended before a discussion could
even start.