[arch-general] Anybody else have problems with the new Nvidia drivers (275.09.07-1)

Richard Schütz r.schtz at t-online.de
Sat Jun 18 04:03:29 EDT 2011

Am 18.06.2011 09:08, schrieb Dan Vratil:
> On Friday, June 17, 2011 23:10:01 Richard Schütz wrote:
>> The new driver really seems to have a major problem. I figured out that
>> you just need an image with 2047px width to screw up the driver.
>>

>> ATTENTION: This can crash your X server and corrupt memory!
>>
>> Example: [1], an otherwise harmless picture. Every picture with the same
>> width will work, too. I could trigger the bug at least with Firefox,
>> Midori, Epiphany and EOG. It looks like some applications like Chromium
>> alter the size, so they don't trigger it.
>>

>> [1] http://www.abload.de/img/nvbugy7cd.jpg
>

> I can confirm crash of Xorg with Firefox 4 on Nvidia GT218 with 275.09.7
> drivers. Epiphany displays weird artefacts, but does not crash.
> Opera and Chrome are OK. Looks like only Gecko has these problems.

I don't think so. Epiphany is based on WebKit these days. And because I
can trigger the bug in EOG (Eye of GNOME) it doesn't look like a browser
problem for me at all.

Perhaps it is a problem of GTK together with nvidia 275.09.07. I tried
feh (a simple X11 image viewer that doesn't use GTK or Qt) and it works
fine without flickering, artifacts or something else strange.

--
Regards,
Richard Schütz