[arch-general] weird problem

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Sun Jun 19 08:42:52 EDT 2011

Am Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:16:36 +0530
schrieb Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805 at gmail.com>:

> I am having this weird problem. Whenever I run pacman -Syu or pacman
> -Su it asks me to replace lib32-libgl with lib32-catalyst-utils.
> [papul at papuldesktop chromium]$ sudo pacman -Su
> :: Starting full system upgrade...
> :: Replace lib32-libgl with catalyst/lib32-catalyst-utils? [Y/n] y
> resolving dependencies...
> looking for inter-conflicts...
> :: catalyst-utils and libgl are in conflict. Remove libgl? [y/N] y
> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
> :: ati-dri: requires libgl=7.10.3
>
> However I don't want lib32-catalyst. What do I have to do to make this
> disappear?

To answer this question seriously...

Do you want to use the open source driver xf86-video-ati or the closed
source driver catalyst?

Do you have 32 bit software installed on your x86_64 system? I guess
yes, considering that you have lib32-libgl installed.

Regarding the first question: You can't have installed both
xf86-video-ati and catalyst at the same time.

If you're using xf86-video-ati you need libgl and lib32-libgl for 32 bit
software. Then you need to uninstall catalyst-utils and
lib32-catalyst-utils.

If you're using catalyst then you need to uninstall libgl and
lib32-libgl and to install catalyst-utils and lib32-catalyst-utils,
because catalyst-utils provides libgl.

So you most likely are asked for replacing lib32-libgl with
lib32-catalyst-utils, because you're using catalyst. So you definitely
need to say yes to this question.

Only say no to it if you want to use xf86-video-ati. But then I would
suggest to uninstall every video driver and related package
(xf86-video-ati, libgl, ati-dri, mesa, lib32-libgl, catalyst,
catalyst-utils and lib32-catalyst-utils) and to freshly install the
video driver of your choice (either xf86-video-ati or catalyst).

Heiko