[arch-general] weird problem

Madhurya Kakati mkakati2805 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 12:22:54 EDT 2011

On 06/19/2011 06:12 PM, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sun, 19 Jun 2011 12:16:36 +0530
> schrieb Madhurya Kakati <mkakati2805 at gmail.com>:
>
>> I am having this weird problem. Whenever I run pacman -Syu or pacman
>> -Su it asks me to replace lib32-libgl with lib32-catalyst-utils.
>> [papul at papuldesktop chromium]$ sudo pacman -Su
>> :: Starting full system upgrade...
>> :: Replace lib32-libgl with catalyst/lib32-catalyst-utils? [Y/n] y
>> resolving dependencies...
>> looking for inter-conflicts...
>> :: catalyst-utils and libgl are in conflict. Remove libgl? [y/N] y
>> error: failed to prepare transaction (could not satisfy dependencies)
>> :: ati-dri: requires libgl=7.10.3
>>
>> However I don't want lib32-catalyst. What do I have to do to make this
>> disappear?
> To answer this question seriously...
>
> Do you want to use the open source driver xf86-video-ati or the closed
> source driver catalyst?
>
> Do you have 32 bit software installed on your x86_64 system? I guess
> yes, considering that you have lib32-libgl installed.
>
> Regarding the first question: You can't have installed both
> xf86-video-ati and catalyst at the same time.
>
> If you're using xf86-video-ati you need libgl and lib32-libgl for 32 bit
> software. Then you need to uninstall catalyst-utils and
> lib32-catalyst-utils.
>
> If you're using catalyst then you need to uninstall libgl and
> lib32-libgl and to install catalyst-utils and lib32-catalyst-utils,
> because catalyst-utils provides libgl.
>
> So you most likely are asked for replacing lib32-libgl with
> lib32-catalyst-utils, because you're using catalyst. So you definitely
> need to say yes to this question.
>
> Only say no to it if you want to use xf86-video-ati. But then I would
> suggest to uninstall every video driver and related package
> (xf86-video-ati, libgl, ati-dri, mesa, lib32-libgl, catalyst,
> catalyst-utils and lib32-catalyst-utils) and to freshly install the
> video driver of your choice (either xf86-video-ati or catalyst).
>
> Heiko

OK, I am answering your question in this way:
I want to keep using the opensource ati drivers. Also I want to use
lib32-libgl for all the 32-bit packages. So as you told me I tried to
uninstall catalyst-utils and lib32-catalyst-utils. But I can't uninstall
these as they aren't installed. So why the hell am I asked to replace
lib32-libgl with lib32-catalyst-utils everytime I upgrade? It is some
sort of a bug? What is causing this problem?