[arch-general] NOT SOLVED [was Re: Warning - Thunderbird 5 Breaks Access to pop accounts]

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Thu Jun 30 17:23:59 EDT 2011

On 06/30/2011 04:09 PM, David C. Rankin wrote:
> On 06/30/2011 09:25 AM, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> On 06/29/2011 02:46 PM, Karol Babioch wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> xulrunner isn't needed anymore, when I remember it right.
>>>
>>> What kind of security do you have on your mail server? Maybe there is a
>>> problem with certificate(s), or something like this.
>>>

>> I hate to admit it, but this ISP has no security - it's "plain". So that might
>> be confusing the smarter apps looking for a cert??
>>

> I can't explain it. I dropped back to tty1 and updated to tbird 5 again and
> this time all the pop accounts are working. I don't know what happened with
> the last update. The only difference this time was I exited the desktop before
> updating. It makes no sense, but whatever didn't work with the last install
> seems to be working fine now. Thanks for your thoughts and feedback letting me
> know it was working for you.

Aargh!

   This is frustrating.  On initial start, tbird 5 seems to check my accounts
just fine, but when attempting a manual mail check, I get the following error:

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.suddenlinkmail.com
responded: please send PASS command

   Anybody know why this would happen? What to check?  It is repeatable every
time.  I'll wireshark the communication and see if that help...

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.