[arch-general] Dropping Oracle OpenOffice

Ng Oon-Ee ngoonee at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 11:35:44 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 10:22 -0600, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> 2011/3/7 Ng Oon-Ee <ngoonee at gmail.com>:
> > On Mon, 2011-03-07 at 22:00 -0600, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> >> just an fyi,
> >> openoffice itself is *huge* and now that it is going to be dropped to
> >> the aur, it will most likely lose all audience because of how long it
> >> takes to compile from source. + libreoffice is just a better version
> >> of openoffice imo, so there should really be no one that uses it.
> >
> > People who want openoffice will probably just use the -bin packages?
> >

> You got it, unless someone is dedicated :P

Dedicated to the relatively-closed and more-constrained version of whats
in the repos. Sure =)

The distros have jumped fast, but I'm wondering about the Windows users
of openoffice, seems to me none of them would try libreoffice just
because its there (and frankly the politics of the thing just doesn't
cut it with most users in that camp). Idle thoughts...