[arch-general] Can't connect to WEP-protected network

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Mar 17 11:01:12 EDT 2011

Hi John,

On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 3:34 PM, John Albright <trumpetman258 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello. I just installed Arch last weekend and have gotten KDE and
> NetworkManager installed. I'm able to connect to unprotected and
> WPA-protected wireless networks, but when I try to use a WEP-protected one,
> the NetworkManager applet keeps prompting for the password. I'm sure I'm
> putting the right password in. Other computers are able to connect to the
> network. I've only been able to try one WEP-protected network so far. I have
> no idea what else could be wrong. Has anyone else had this problem?

I don't know the answer to your question offhand, but I suggest
providing the following info to narrow down the problem:

What make/model is your wireless card? (% lspci -vvv)
Do you get any wifi related messages in dmesg? (% dmesg)
Did it work with a different OS/distro on the same computer in the
past? Which OS?
Are any of the other computers running the same setup (Arch w/KDE and NM)?

My guess is that if no one else is reporting the same problem, then it
is probably a kernel/driver/hardware issue, so knowing the specifics
of your wifi card will help a lot.

Cheers,

Tom