[arch-general] bluez and udev

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sat Mar 26 15:48:11 EDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Seblu <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
> Tom do you see answer in linux-hotplug mailing list?

Thanks for the reminder, I thought I was subscribed, but obviously not...

> My understanding: Let initscripts start bluetoothd and not udev (it
> should not use to manage services).

This was not entirely clear to me. I read the advice as: either use
systemd (and do not let udev manage the bluetooth daemon), or
retrigger the bluetooth add event when dbus has been (re)started. A
third solution is, as you say, to let initscripts manage the bluetooth
daemon and remove the functionality from the udev rule.

I think maybe the third solution is the cleanest one, but in that case
it is an upstream (bluez) bug, as the udev rule file is provided
unconditionally (AFAIKS). Actually, I wonder whose benefit the udev
rule is supposed to be for: systemd (and similar) should manage
bluetooth on its own, so should not have the daemon started by udev,
and with a traditional sysvinit system will have the problem that we
are faced with now.

I think it would be worthwhile to ask the bluez developers what they
think is the best solution.

Cheers,

Tom