[arch-general] Gnome 3, a bug?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu May 5 11:20:00 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 09:17, Casey Peter <caseyjp1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/05/2011 01:43 AM, Magnus Therning wrote:

>>> Yes.  Disabling the extension is pretty simple.  Just go into the
>>> /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions directory, rename the extension folder
>>> .backup or something like .disabled. (just keep the original folder name
>>> in
>>> case you want to re-enable later).  You can then do an alt-f2 "lg" and
>>> enter
>>> and go to the extensions tab to verify what is/is not there.  To make the
>>> change alt+f2 "r" enter to restart the gnome-shell.
>>
>> I'd very much like to avoid doing something like that, because it's
>> "icky".  Renaming a system directory, owned by an installed package?
>> That's not good practice for system administration in my opinion.  The
>> Gnome 3 docs say it's possible to disable installed extensions on a
>> per-user basis, I'd much prefer doing it that way.
>>
>> /M
>>
> It might be "icky", but you asked a question...I answered it.  I have it
> working and do it that way for now, it works a charm, as some of those
> extensions I am not fond of, having gotten used to the defaults during the
> testing phase.  Adding a .xxx to the end of the file disables it and keeps
> the basic folder name structure intact so later if I want it back "on" I
> know exactly what to change.
>
>  The package(s) are in AUR anyway, and until we get a better method of
> handling the stuff, this works for me.  As for good practice...its my own
> machine in my own home, and I know what goes on in exquisite detail on that
> box...so hey.  :D  (not knocking what you are saying for sys admin
> purposes.)

Indeed, you answered exactly the question I asked.  In the end I
modified the PKGBUILD to only build the extensions I want.

The packages in AUR (-git) seem to build broken software at the
moment.  Modifying them to build the source tagged 3.0.1 results in
working extensions.

I just hope there's a documented way to control enabled extensions
per-use once there's an extension package in [extra]/[community].

> I really do like the looking glass tool though.  That is one nifty little
> idsoftware kinda tool.  :-)

Yes, I agree... the only thing that bugs we with it is getting rid of
it.  Pressing 'ESC' to kill the window only works for me when I'm on
the evaluator tab.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org