[arch-general] Gnome 3, a bug?

Casey Peter caseyjp1 at gmail.com
Thu May 5 10:17:49 CEST 2011

On 05/05/2011 01:43 AM, Magnus Therning wrote:
> On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 07:38, Casey Peter<caseyjp1 at gmail.com>  wrote:

>>> Yes, indeed it does say that, but it doesn't say how to actually
>>> disable them :-)
>>>
>>> I've tried to disable AlternateTab without success.  Here's what I've
>>> tried so far:
>>>
>>> % gsettings set org.gnome.shell disabled-extensions "@as ['AlternateTab']
>>> % gsettings set org.gnome.shell disabled-extensions "@as ['alternate-tab']
>>>
>>> Has anyone else managed to disable extensions?
>>>
>>> /M
>>>
>> Yes.  Disabling the extension is pretty simple.  Just go into the
>> /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions directory, rename the extension folder to
>> .backup or something like .disabled. (just keep the original folder name in
>> case you want to re-enable later).  You can then do an alt-f2 "lg" and enter
>> and go to the extensions tab to verify what is/is not there.  To make the
>> change alt+f2 "r" enter to restart the gnome-shell.
> I'd very much like to avoid doing something like that, because it's
> "icky".  Renaming a system directory, owned by an installed package?
> That's not good practice for system administration in my opinion.  The
> Gnome 3 docs say it's possible to disable installed extensions on a
> per-user basis, I'd much prefer doing it that way.
>
> /M

It might be "icky", but you asked a question...I answered it.  I have it
working and do it that way for now, it works a charm, as some of those
extensions I am not fond of, having gotten used to the defaults during
the testing phase.  Adding a .xxx to the end of the file disables it and
keeps the basic folder name structure intact so later if I want it back
"on" I know exactly what to change.

   The package(s) are in AUR anyway, and until we get a better method of
handling the stuff, this works for me.  As for good practice...its my
own machine in my own home, and I know what goes on in exquisite detail
on that box...so hey.  :D  (not knocking what you are saying for sys
admin purposes.)

I really do like the looking glass tool though.  That is one nifty
little idsoftware kinda tool.  :-)

Casey