[arch-general] Gnome 3, a bug?

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu May 5 09:43:24 CEST 2011

On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 07:38, Casey Peter <caseyjp1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 05/04/2011 11:56 PM, Magnus Therning wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 17:54, Damien Churchill<damoxc at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> You can disable extensions, taken from the Gnome Shell extensions page
>>> [1]
>>>
>>> "Per-user and systemwide extensions can be disabled with the GSettings
>>> key org.gnome.shell.disabled-extensions"
>>>
>>> [1] http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/Extensions
>>
>> Yes, indeed it does say that, but it doesn't say how to actually
>> disable them :-)
>>
>> I've tried to disable AlternateTab without success.  Here's what I've
>> tried so far:
>>
>> % gsettings set org.gnome.shell disabled-extensions "@as ['AlternateTab']
>> % gsettings set org.gnome.shell disabled-extensions "@as ['alternate-tab']
>>
>> Has anyone else managed to disable extensions?
>>
>> /M
>>
> Yes.  Disabling the extension is pretty simple.  Just go into the
> /usr/share/gnome-shell/extensions directory, rename the extension folder to
> .backup or something like .disabled. (just keep the original folder name in
> case you want to re-enable later).  You can then do an alt-f2 "lg" and enter
> and go to the extensions tab to verify what is/is not there.  To make the
> change alt+f2 "r" enter to restart the gnome-shell.

I'd very much like to avoid doing something like that, because it's
"icky".  Renaming a system directory, owned by an installed package?
That's not good practice for system administration in my opinion.  The
Gnome 3 docs say it's possible to disable installed extensions on a
per-user basis, I'd much prefer doing it that way.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org