[arch-general] Gnome 3, a bug?

Steve Holmes steve.holmes88 at gmail.com
Fri May 6 09:22:57 EDT 2011

Hey, I also just installed / upgraded to gnome3 and have run into some
strange problems with keyboard navigation.  First off, I cannot get
into the desktop; also I can't find a reliable way to get into the
system menu.

Keep in mind here, I'm totally blind and do not use the mouse.  I rely
strictly on use of the keyboard to navigate around the environment.
With gnome2, one can use Ctrl+Alt+d to open the desktop from anywhere
in gnome and the system menu was simply part of the main menu
structure.  Now the application and places menus are side by side but
no system menu.  Also, the key combination to focus the desktop
doesn't work.  In fact, when I use the Ctrl+Alt+Tab key combination to
cycle focus between the top and botom panels, there is no desktop
there either.  In gnome2, the desktop was also included in that
rotation.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is this another sign of broken
functionality in gnome3?