[arch-general] Gnome 3, a bug?

Gunnar Meyer gumeye at gmail.com
Mon May 9 12:40:33 EDT 2011

Am 06.05.2011 15:22, schrieb Steve Holmes:
> Hey, I also just installed / upgraded to gnome3 and have run into some
> strange problems with keyboard navigation.  First off, I cannot get
> into the desktop; also I can't find a reliable way to get into the
> system menu.
>
> Keep in mind here, I'm totally blind and do not use the mouse.  I rely
> strictly on use of the keyboard to navigate around the environment.
> With gnome2, one can use Ctrl+Alt+d to open the desktop from anywhere
> in gnome and the system menu was simply part of the main menu
> structure.  Now the application and places menus are side by side but
> no system menu.  Also, the key combination to focus the desktop
> doesn't work.  In fact, when I use the Ctrl+Alt+Tab key combination to
> cycle focus between the top and botom panels, there is no desktop
> there either.  In gnome2, the desktop was also included in that
> rotation.
>
> Any ideas on how to fix this? Is this another sign of broken
> functionality in gnome3?

Hi Steve,

I just had a look on Gnome’s website to see the status of their
accessibility efforts for Gnome 3. It seems like Gnome Shell is
currently not meant to be usable with a screen reader. It is on the
roadmap for Gnome 3.2 though.

As for your question about the behaviour of the desktop and panel:

Gnome 3 no longer has icons on the desktop enabled by default. The
concept of the panels also changed a lot. There no longer is a real
bottom panel, all it offers are the notifications and icons that used to
be in the system tray in Gnome 2. The taskbar is completely gone now,
you can access your open applications by pressing the windows key and
type in the name of the application.

If the fallback mode works for you, I would just stick with it. It might
also be a good idea addressing your questions according to Gnome’s
accessibility directly to the upstream mailing list, as few people here
have experience with it. The URL for signing up is