[arch-general] Display Manager rc.d scripts

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Sun May 8 14:29:59 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 8, 2011 at 8:05 PM, Kwpolska <kwpolska at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 07:53:49PM +0200, Tom Gundersen wrote:
>> How would you make sure e.g. kdm was started before (or after)
>> another daemon if you use the runlevel approach?
>
> If you use the runlevel approach, DMs start after all DAEMONS.  This
> is usually the right behavior.  You start DBUS and other crap
> and then go for Xorg.

This is indeed the safe behavior, and then the two approaches would be
equivalent. However, if you use the DAEMONS array you have the
flexibility (if you know what you are doing) to optimise it (a lot).

Essentially the only thing you need before kdm is dbus (maybe also
syslog-ng). I run with
DAEMONS=(syslog-ng dbus @kdm ...)

If you run a service that relies on the network being up (ssh, netfs,
...), then you need to block on the network daemon, which might take a
long time to start. However, it might not be necessary to start kdm
after network, so we are loosing a lot of boot time for nothing.

As to the problem of a broken system: This is what single user mode is
for. No need for a livecd.

>From my point of view there is no benefit to the inittab method and
some benefit to the daemon method.

Cheers,