[arch-general] Display Manager rc.d scripts

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sun May 8 17:25:01 EDT 2011

On Sun, May 08, 2011 at 08:54:15PM +0200, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Sun, 8 May 2011 19:33:09 +0100
> schrieb Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org>:
>
> > I don't think so.  The word "runlevel" doesn't exist on
> > https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Beginners%27_Guide
> >
> > It does mention adding display managers to the daemons line.
> >
> > I have not read all of the documentation on the wiki though, so I'd be
> > grateful to be pointed to something I've missed.
>
> It's the only or first explained method in:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Manager
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Start_X_at_boot
>
> And when I switched to Arch Linux I somewhere read in the Wiki that the
> inittab method is the recommended one.

Same here. Having X fail to start correctly is all too common when
installing a new system (or after an update). If you're lucky it
drops back into a terminal, if not you're left with a system that
doesn't work and provides no way to modify it (except by using a
rescue image, manually mounting disks etc.).
I've adopted the habit to add '3 nomodeset' to the Fallback boot
options while installing. This way there's allways an easy way
back into the sytem. Starting X from the DAEMONS array really
seems like the very last thing I'd ever consider.

--
FA