[arch-general] Display Manager rc.d scripts

Rémy Oudompheng remyoudompheng at gmail.com
Mon May 9 14:41:31 EDT 2011

On 2011/5/8 Grigorios Bouzakis <grbzks at xsmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> can anyone think of a reason the rc.d scripts are added to kdm, gdm and
> slim? They are not recommended by anyone & they are to be blame for
> occasional weird problems. The standard and IMO only way is to start
> them from inittab.
> They dont come from upstream & i dont know when they were added, i
> remember them being there ever since i started using Arch, they may
> come from CRUX or something.
> I am considering requesting them removal from all display managers.
> In [0] Pierre said some people want to keep them for backwards
> compatibility. Backwards compatibility is desired only when something
> works correctly. Thoughts?

I never used inittab to launch a display manager and always used
rc-scripts, and I will never switch unless I go for systemd. I don't
understand the point of removing these scripts, unless you want users
to write them themselves. As far as I know, most major distributions
that don't use systemd ship rc-scripts for the display managers.

Moreover, rc-scripts are distribution specific and I don't see how
they can be provided by upstream.

--
Rémy.